Re: Canvas line style comments

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:50:13 +0000 (UTC)
To: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Philip Taylor wrote:

> The spec says: "The lineCap attribute defines the type of endings that
> UAs will place on the end of lines. The three valid values are butt,
> round, and square. The butt value means that the end of each line is a
> flat edge perpendicular to the direction of the line. The round value
> ..."
>
> That doesn't give any clear "must" requirements for butts. (Nothing else
> defines precisely how lines are to be rendered, so this isn't just a
> statement of a consequence of a specified line-drawing algorithm, so it
> should say "must" here else there won't be any testable requirements for
> lineCap=butt.)

It is intended to be a consequence of the lack of any capping. I've
clarified this, but I haven't added a must -- I don't know what the must
would be. Is line rendering really not testable?

> "The miter limit ratio is the maximum allowed ratio of the length of the
> two continuation lines to the line width" is wrong - it's the maximum
> allowed ratio of the miter length to half the line width (e.g. when
> mitering a right angle the critical point is miterLimit=sqrt(2)).

Um, ok. I'm taking your word on this! Please check that the spec is now
correct...

> "If the miter length would be exceeded" - s/length/limit ratio/

Fixed, ish. Please check that what I wrote made sense.

> In the definition of 'miter': s/abuting/abutting/

Already fixed.