Re: Proposal: ARIA-ROLE & CSS definition integration

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Oliver -
>
> Since ARIA is not part of the HTML spec (it is a separate spec), I would
> imagine that ARIA (and therefore, the accessibility that comes with it) is
> optional, just like CSS. There might be a hidden rider in the HTML 5 draft
> that I have not noticed. Overall, the only mandatory accessibility item (and
> its status as mandatory is still being debated) is @alt, to the best of my
> knowledge.
>
> J.Ja

Thank you for your answer James,

Ok for the optional part (but I would prefer the spec to be as much
incentive to web developper to build accessible interfaces).

My first sentence was about the "separation of content and
presentation". As ARIA has nothing to do with presentation, it should
not be inserted into CSS. But your idea to use CSS selector to
build-in ARIA instructions is interesting. Perhaps the UA maker have
advices about the parsability/implementability of your proposal ?

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/