Re: ARIA as stop-gap (was Re: Next steps for the ARIA syntax discussion)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:30:24 +0200
To: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
CC: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, elharo@metalab.unc.edu, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

Justin James 2008-06-04 19.42:

> I think you hit the *exact* same1 realization as I did yesterday. This is
> the heart of my proposal, which is to let the class (or ID, or whatever the
> appropriate CSS definition is) contain the ARIA information.

Actually, no. I suppose you refer to this proposal [1]:

> div.checkbox {aria-role: checkbox;}
> The div would be treated as if @aria-role="checkbox" had been
> specified. [...]

You move the aria behaviour out of HTML and into CSS.

I keep everything inside HTML, with a special syntax for the
single aria attribute that I proposed (to replace aria-*).

Class="Checked-true" tells a User Agent nothing. Whereas
aria="checked-true" tells what is needed and gives a hook that can
replace class="checked-true" entirely and easily - it is DRY [2].

Your proposal would not make the ARIA values available as
selectors. And some ARIA properties can list more than one ID, and
it is unhandy to have such info in a separate document.

leif halvard silli