Re: [whatwg] Is EBCDIC support needed for not breaking the Web?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:20:20 +0200, Marek Pawlowski <marekp.w3c@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 6/1/08, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Firefox and Opera being able get away with not supporting EBCDIC
>> flavors suggests that EBCDIC-based encodings cannot be particularly
>> Web-relevant.
>> Even if saying that browsers MUST NOT support them might end up being a
>> dead letter, it seems that it would be feasible to say that browsers
>> SHOULD NOT support them or at least MUST NOT let a heuristic detector
>> guess EBCDIC (for security reasons).
>
> Opera on Windows (9.50b and 9.27) also lists UTF-7 in
> View->Encoding->Unicode submenu.

FWIW, we're planning on removing UTF-7 support for the browsing part of
our product (it will still be supported for e-mail).

We're also planning on removing UTF-32 support completely.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>