Re: ISSUE-48 (marks-content-markup-attribute): 'marks' content markup attribute for Q (quotation) and BLOCKQUOTE [HTML 5 spec]

Hi Andrew,

In a previous email[1], I failed to double check the example CSS I
provided. It should have been:

q[marks=provided]::before,
q[marks=provided]::after {
	content: "";
}

Just to underscore the point here. It seems to me a major stretch to
use the phrase "implementation complexity" when changing a UAs default
stylesheet. Instead this is simply taking advantage of an excellently
abstracted implementation architecture without adding any complexity
at all. If this proposal required an overhaul of CSS implementations
then I could understand talking about implementation complexity.
Adding CSS rules to a default stylesheet or adding element type names
to a parsing dictionary where the element fits precisely with other
elements already in the list is not adding complexity. It's simply
taking advantage of the implementation as is.

I would still like to hear what you (Andrew) think s implementation
complexity. Is that any change to the implementation. If so then
fixing minor bugs would count as adding implementation complexity.

One more issue that came to mind as well is that the suggestion that
authors choose one or the other and then tailor the CSS accordingly
(which is what I think your suggesting) amounts to putting this
semantic information in the stylesheet. It undermines user stylesheet,
since the user would have to examine the authors stylesheets to glean
what the semantic state of the quotation elements were.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jun/0050.html>