Re: When can a node's prefix or localName contain a colon?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:16:39 +1000
To: public-html@w3.org

Geoffrey Sneddon:
> Well, at a basic level, error handling of what can't be in the DOM is
> undefined when Document.strictErrorHandling = False, meaning that
> theoretically (I don't know if any browser allows it) when that is the
> case, you could perfectly easily insert a colon.

So actually, does that mean the list of cases where the DOM is
unserialisable needs to be increased to handle all of the syntactic
restrictions that the DOM methods enforce, such as:

  ▪ a Node whose nodeName is not an XML name
  ▪ a document with two Element or DocumentType children
  ▪ an Attr that has an EntityReference as a child
  ▪ an EntityReference referring to an entity that has not been declared

?  Or because strictErrorHandling says:

  In case of error, the behavior is undefined.
   — http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html#Document3-strictErrorChecking

does that mean the innerHTML serialisation algorithm doesn’t have to
worry about them, because it makes behaviour undefined?

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/