Re: Deciding in public (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote on 07/31/2008 05:01:08 PM:

> To give the specific example of the namespace parsing mechanism that IE
> implements which you have put forward several times: I read the
whitepaper
> that Microsoft put forward on the day they announced it, and considered
it
> carefully as I was reading it. I also had already considered IE7's
parsing
> behaviour, and considered IE8's parsing behaviour as soon as I had IE8
> installed and had gotten the workaround for their attribute DOM handling
> bug sorted out (thanks Philip`). You've since brought it up at least half

> a dozen times, both here and on your blog, and gotten a response each
time
> (almost certainly a progressively shorter and shorter response), saying
> that those ideas had already been considered. You have never introduced
> new information, indeed as far as I can tell you haven't actually
> seriously considered what the proposal is and have never shown an actual
> example demonstrating that you truly understand Microsoft's proposal.
>
> What could I change in the way I respond to issues to make you feel like
> your suggestion has been seriously considered, as it indeed has?

For starters, "You have never introduced new information" and "as far as I
can tell you haven't actually seriously considered what the proposal is"
are not conducive to a creating a constructive environment a sustainable
productive dialog.

Others seem to have come to a different conclusion:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Sep/0501.html

- Sam Ruby