Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:36:00 -0400
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On 31 Jul 2008, at 12:11 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> We talked about this in our 24 July teleconference;
> sorry for the delay..
>
> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 20:52 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Al Gilman wrote:
>>>
>>> I see by your Tracker that you have an ISSUE-35 on "aria
>>> processing."
>>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35
>>
>> There are three issues blocking the adoption of ARIA proposals in
>> HTML5:
>>
>>  1. ARIA isn't being developed in the open. It is unlikely that we
>> would
>>     adopt wholesale anything that wasn't developed in a completely
>> open
>>     manner, with open public participation and a completely public
>>     feedback loop. I mentioned this in:
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg-comments/
>> 2008AprJun/0004.html
>
> I think we've gotten far enough on the openness point,

Thank you for bearing with us on this point.  Later this fall I will
be asking
PFWG to take a fresh look at to see if we can do a bit better yet.

> but
> the other two remain... it seems important for ARIA to say more
> about how it works with HTML...

Agreed.  We have created an issue on this (Member link, admittedly)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/67

.. and we will be continuing to talk with you because [I, at least,
think] there are
things for ARIA to say about this and things for HTML to say.

Al