Re: FYI: Firefox 3.1 Will Support Ogg (ISSUE-7 video-codecs)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> This probably doesn't get us much closer to resolving the
> issue, but I figure it's worth filing away in any case...
>
> "both Vorbis and Theora will be shipping in Firefox 3.1 as part of our
> <video> and <audio> HTML5 tag support."
> http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2008/07/firefox_31_will_support_ogg.html

This is great news!.

But, all the <video>/ audio implementations suck (I mean really suck)
performance-wise on older computers.  Flash and VideoLan's Mozilla
plugin blow them away ... so far.

The VideoLan plugin has *awesome* Theora performance (be cool if
browsers could use its decoder), but all of this is probably just
because it uses hardware acceleration and <video> implementations
don't yet/can't.

Still awesome news though!

--
Michael