Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:51:10 +0100
To: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Patrick Garies wrote:

> The primary benefits of custom |DOCTYPE| declarations lie with custom
> |ENTITY| declarations; custom |DOCTYPE| declarations need not be used
> for validation purposes at all (although this should be allowed, if
> desired).

> On the other hand, requiring |<!DOCTYPE html>| (with no subsets) or
> forbidding use of the |DOCTYPE| declaration would be totally useless and
> shuts out the possibility of things like this being possible down the
> road in an HTML 5 document.
>
> — Patrick Garies

With all of these points I completely concur.  My point
was that Henri had stated "The spec intentionally allows
[...] any doctype in the XML serialization [...]", and
I felt this was overly lax.  The specification should
(IMHO) allow any DOCTYPE that accurately specifies the
actual dialect used, not just any DOCTYPE at all ...

Philip TAYLOR