Re: SVG in HTML proposal

Hi, Jeff-

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 7/14/08 10:20 PM):

> 1) Copying SVG documents from an SVG editor to an HTML document won't
> magically prefix name-clashed elements.  SVG fragments currently inline
> in XHTML documents won't be magically prefixed either.  I guess users
> would have to do that manually?  This seems to violate requirement #2.

Sorry we weren't more clear.  Prefixing is not an integral part of our
solution, merely an authoring tip in case there might be some risk of
conflict.  Actually, it shouldn't be needed at all.

> 2) If my SVG has a foreignObject with HTML in it, and the browser does
> not handle SVG yet, then the contents of that foreignObject will be
> inadvertently rendered by the UA, which might not be desired.  Any
> recommendation for that?   html: prefix for all elements?

This is one reason that I initially suggested the <ext> element [1], so
that any UA which does not understand SVG but does support
<ext>/<fallback> (which would be trivial to implement) could not only
hide any such extraneous code, but also render a fallback (and it would
work for any non-HTML language, not just SVG, so you could have a
fallback for MathML, etc.).  We'll have to see if there is support for
that particular bit.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/att-0179/svg-html-proposal.html#ext-element

Regards-