Re: Error handling for SVG and MathML in HTML

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 04:48:52 +0100, Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let's say I create logo.svg to use on a website. I've made a mistake
> in my logo.svg code, but I've gone ahead and used it anyway (I know,
> this highly unrealistic scenario almost never happens in the real
> world, but bear with me!) Let's say I included it in my HTML using the
> img element... when I view my page in the browser -- oops! I see a
> broken image. I will have to fix my SVG.
>
> Let's say I embed that SVG in the HTML code, rather than use the img
> tag. I want the exact same thing to happen: browser shows a broken
> image, but the rest of the HTML document "works". Are the implementers
> groaning over my naivety here?

Well, it depends what you mean by implementors. But what you describe is
what I would expect too. It seems some people think that all of SVG should
be changed, in order to provide some mechanism for sloppy SVG authoring.
Which seems to me like quite a bad idea. I haven't seen any SVG
implementor suggest it is a good idea (although I have mostly followed the
debate in the HTML group, where there are very few people I know of who
implement SVG tools).

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com