Re: Why Microsoft's authoritative=true won't work and is a bad idea

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Sam Ruby wrote:

> > With what the spec says, which is the status quo plus or minus the
> > delta between implementations, we have already run through the people
> > making the mistakes and have already gotten to a pretty stable steady
> > state.
>
> Simply put, I'm not seeing the "status quo" that you describe here.

Maybe you have only been checking the small set of cases that are not
interoperable (the "delta between implementations"). By and large,
browsers all do the same thing. There are certainly many edge cases (and
some cases that aren't quite so "edge") where browsers differ to some
extent, but the delta between the various behaviours browsers have today
and a single description of what various behaviours browsers have today is
far smaller, almost by definition, that the delta between the various
behaviours browsers have today and the behaviour of the authoritative=true
parameter. Hence the latter is further from the steady state.

> http://feedvalidator.org/testcases/atom/1.1/brief-noerror.xml
>
> When I visit that page, I would like the text "No errors should be
> produced by the minimal feed" to be visible.

If you would like the document to be processed as plain text, then there
might not be a good answer for you, sorry. Your use case is incompatible
with the use case of the many users who want to see feeds sent as
text/plain handled as feeds. Enough people mislabel their feeds as
text/plain that in practice documents labeled as text/plain are, in some
browsers, sniffed for feeds before being treated as plain text.

This is one of the areas where the delta between implementations is
non-zero, though, and the spec does currently suggest treating that
document as plain text despite it looking like a feed, since that is what
some browsers do and it is the better technical solution theoretically.

I would like the aforementioned browsers to change to line up with what
the spec says. From Boris' comments, apparently even some of the
developers of those browsers would like to change, but it seems it's not
that simple. These things rarely are. Maybe the spec will have to change
instead, and the browsers that handle this as text/plain will have to
start sniffing for the feed.

Either way, interoperability will hopefully be reached, so that all
browsers act the same and the users and authors don't have to be surprised
with differing behaviour.