Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:21:25 -0400
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> The reason is that it makes managing the registry less centralized. As in,
> everyone can easily propose something new that is then subject to community
> review on whether it will be endorsed or unendorsed.

That reads like a description of the role of IANA.  Only IANA's
process - which uses the IETF RFC process - has been vetted through
decades of use by the Internet community.

I love Wikis, and wish access to IANA's registries was more Wiki-like,
but the technology choices backing automated access to a registry make
up a negligible fraction of its value.

Mark.
--
Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca