Re: ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:37:06 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
> In particular, it seems that neither FF2 nor FF3 follow these rules with
> respect to ignoring text/plain in certain situations (test cases 008,
> 009, 010 in
> <http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/http/content-type/sniffing/>).

Those are sent with "Content-Encoding: gzip".  Due to an internal limitation,
Gecko does not sniff such content at the moment (basically, because sniffing
would involve undoing the content encoding first, since sniffing the gzipped
data is pointless).  If the test sent the data without Content-Encoding (which
is the usual situation for the cases the sniffing is designed to address), those
tests would get sniffed as binary.

Oh, and we really do plan to addres the gzip limitation at some point, just so
things are consistent and people don't get confused as you did here...

-Boris