Re: Regarding the <abbr> tag

After responding to Susan in the Public HTML Comments,  I had more time to
think about the issue she brought up.  I'm offering the following
suggestion and thoughts to help solve the problem.

Wouldn't it make more sense if the <abbr> tag used the alt attribute in
addition to the title attribute?  I'm suggesting this because I think that
the use of the title attribute should provide a tooltip to the user to
define the acronym, but the alt tag should provide an alternative to the
abbreviation or acronym (sometimes articles like a and then would be
necessary to make the sentence make sense to viewers requiring accessible
browsers).  I thought this would provide better compatibility with screen
readers and braille browsers which may need to display the
acronym/abbreviation in full for reasons detailed below.

Otherwise, I might make sense to add a type attribute to the <abbr> tag as
Susan suggested.  Even better might be to create a <acron> tag (or
something similar) to use for acronyms and keep the <abbr> tag for
abbreviations.  Of course both of the suggestions in this paragraph are
not really necessary if the <abbr> tag provides both a title and an alt
tag.

That way my first example from below would read as follows:

<abbr title="National Aeronautics and Space Administration" alt="The
National Aeronautics and Space Administration">NASA</abbr> will be
launching a rocket in July.

Thanks for your thoughts and considerations in advance.

Wesley Upchurch

THE FOLLOWING COMES FROM
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-comments/2008Jan/subject.html