dual [sic] approach to ARIA embedding [was: Re: upcoming ARIA publicatoins, test coordination (ISSUE-14)]

On 23 Jan 2008, at 12:10 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> In the 10 Jan teleconference, I heard that the aria designs
> have been narrowed down to one, but nobody had a pointer
> to details.
> http://www.w3.org/2008/01/10-html-wg-minutes.html#item04

[Al, here]
My bad.  I was supposed to share the following summary with HTML WG:

<quote
cite="http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/2007OctDec/
0182.html"
rdf:seeAlso="http://www.w3.org/2007/12/07-hcg-minutes.html#item04">

First of all, thanks to all the groups that supported the
coordination session on 6 November.

http://www.w3.org/2007/11/06-aria-minutes.html

At that session we agreed to report back in the context of the
Hypertext CG.

Thanks to your help, we have made significant progress on keeping the
WAI-ARIA work moving forward including dealing with
host-langauge-embedding issues.

This message summarizes the direction we are taking after reviewing
what we learned in the face-to-face sessions and through various
email threads before and after.

Clearly, if you find show-stoppers in this, we will want to reconsider.
But we think this is an approach that all parties can live with.

** basic plan

Note that the WAI EOWG reviewed our documents and made some
recommendations regarding how we package and present our work.
One of their recommendations that we expect to implement is to
combine the Roles spec and the States and Properties spec into a
single document.

We will discuss host language embedding in our new, combined
specification.  We will present two approaches, and give the two
approaches parallel treatment.

The two approaches will be:

* no namespaces, no prefixes

Pretty much as developed in the document at
http://simon.html5.org/specs/aria-proposal

XHTML2 Working Group has agreed to change the Role Attribute Module
so that the role attribute can be incorporated in other host
languages by mechanisms other than Namespaces in XML.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2007OctDec/0259.html

Note that under this approach, host languages reserve all attribute
names
matching the pattern aria-*.  This allows the ARIA states and properties
to be controlled by the PFWG specification, including future
maintenance.

.. this approach could be used in HTML5 and in extended DTDs or
otherwise-verifiable supersets of HTML4.

* by Namespaces in XML

The Role Attribute Module specification will give @role a 'home'
namespace from which it can be cited using the Namespaces in XML
Recommendation technique.

.. this approach could be used in DIAL and other applications of XHTML.
These dialects are likely to be used primarily to feed middleware, as
there is no immediate prospect of this technology being picked up
widely by browsers, soon.

</quote>

The discussion in the Hypertext CG in December revealed no
show-stopping problems with this approach.

I personally don't understand remarks to the effect that
ARIA-embedding approaches "have been narrowed down to one"
but the dual approach notwithstanding, there seems
to be no problem for **HTML5, per_se** adopting the first one
and only the first one.

Life is not so simple for SVG.  But that's because they
want to swim in a middleware world as well as over the wire
to the browser.

http://www.w3.org/2007/11/07-TechPlenAgenda#html

Al