RE: several messages about handling encodings in HTML

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> I don't see anything making a BOM illegal in
> UTF-16LE/UTF-16BE, in fact, the only mention I find of it
> with regards to either in Unicode 5.0 is "In UTF-16(BE|LE),
> an initial byte sequence <(FE FF|FF FE)> is interpreted as
> U+FEFF zero width no-break space."

Right, a BOM cannot appear in a -BE/-LE document. The Unicode 5.0
specification has seperate recommendations for when to produce a -BE/-LE
document with a leading U+FEFF (don't do it), and how to process
documents that disregard that reocmmendation (treat it as a ZWNBS).

- Brian