Re: several messages about content sniffing in HTML

On 29 Feb 2008, at 10:54, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Rendering the web?  In particular, it's not uncommon for servers
>>> (esp. when CGIs are involved) to produce things like:

>>> which then get normalized to:

>>> Not sure where that normalization happens offhand (server end or
>>> Gecko end).
>> It seems like the HTTP spec should define how to handle that, but
>> the HTTP working group has indicated a desire to not specify error
>> handling behaviour, so I guess it's up to us.
>> IE and Safari use the first one, Firefox and Opera use the last
>> one. I guess we'll use the first one.
>
> Isn't the fact that FF and IE disagree here an indication that this
> doesn't need to be specified?

Things aren't specified well enough until I can write an HTTP UA that
can work in the real world (which, as someone dealing with feeds, I
can tell you need without question support for content-type sniffing)
from reading specifications without having to reverse-engineer anything.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>