Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec]

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> this "issue" represents a fundamental mis-understanding of the point of
> ARIA markup and the PFWG's attempts to work with the HTML WG

[...]

> i vote that this is a NON-ISSUE as, but would support re-opening it
> WITHOUT the following verbiage:
>
> <q
> cite="http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35">
> It also requires consideration of how aria
> features interact with html-native features and, where
> functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the
> advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same
> effect outweighs the cost.
> </q>

I think I'm misunderstanding something. If we don't specify the interaction
between aria-* and HTML then how will we get interoperable behavior? For example
how will UAs handle markup like:

or