Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:40:10 +0000
To: public-html@w3.org
On 20/02/2008, Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org>
wrote:

> The decision as to whether to open in the same
> window, the same window but a new tab, or in
> a new window, should be the user's and the user's
> alone.  The document can offer guidance (such as
> "best opened in a new window"), but should not
> enforce that behaviour.
>  Philip TAYLOR

Where should that guidance be offered? As some <p> text next to the link? If
you've got a lot of links, that's going to get very crowded very quickly.
And if you're a user who doesn't know how to open a link in a new window,
it's not going to stop you from interrupting your use of the application
when you (inevitably) click on the link to see if it does follow its
author's advice and open itself in a new window. After all, if it really is
"best opened in a new window", why not just make it do it? Surely we all
want what's for the best, right? :)

Sam