Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

On Feb 17, 2008, at 14:54, Daniel Schattenkirchner wrote:

> Karl Groves wrote:
>
>> I know this is venturing a bit off topic, but in usability studies,
>> people actually get lost after new windows are opened. In other
>> words, it has the exact opposite effect than what you desire.
>
> I'd like to support this direction of the topic. Since I've switched
> to Firefox in late 2004 I configured it to open everything in the
> same window/tab. I've never missed the behaviour of links opening in
> a new window since then.

That's *precisely* why HTML5 should *allow* target='_blank'. When the
easily detectable way of doing something that you don't want authors
to do but they want to do *anyway* is conforming and supported by
browsers by default, it is easier for you to take counter-measures
than it would be if the authors used something less easy to detect and
counter (such as window.open()).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi