Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

From: Karl Groves <karl.groves@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:47:55 -0800 (PST)
To: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>

----- "Sam Kuper" <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:

> (As an aside, why do I target new windows? Usually for the reasons
> given by Marghanita: I like links away from my site to open in new,
> distinct windows. As a user, this behaviour normally feels intuitive
> to me, and most of the people I've spoken to about it feel the same
> way. At the very least, authors ought to have a mechanism for
> implementing this behaviour easily when it is desired.)

I know this is venturing a bit off topic, but in usability studies, people actually get lost after new windows are opened. In other words, it has the exact opposite effect than what you desire.

http://www.webaccessstrategies.com/blog/id/the-scourge-of-new-windows/

Karl Groves
Senior Accessibility Consultant
SSB BART Group