Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:00:28 +0000
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>

On Feb 13, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> Using a script that window.open()s links sacrifises discoverability
> for users that the link is going to open in a new window. Referer
> headers aren't sent with window.open(). Users might want
> target=_blank and window.open() do different things since the former
> is mostly used for external links and the latter is used for help
> popups and the like.

 From the implementation perspective, it's definitely easier to
control what happens and give appropriate feedback to the user when a
link uses target=_blank than window.open. For this reason, I agree
that target=_blank should remain conforming. On the other hand, many
sites (for instance gmail) use window.open plus additional script
trickery to open new windows because target=_blank is considered not
to provide enough security separation. It might be useful to add a
target value to directly support this use case.

Regards,
Maciej