Re: Adoption agency in foster parented content

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:15:42 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Chris Wilson wrote:
>> Technically, IE doesn't put it "outside the table", just outside the
>> border - it goes in an auto-generated <caption>.  That was the only way
>> we could easily replicate Netscape's wacky algorithm for inserting
>> "loose" content prior to inserting the table.
>

> Chris, does this <caption> actually appear in the DOM in IE?  What
> happens if the table already has a <caption>?

Yes, but its tagName is the empty string. The real caption is rendered
below the other "captions".

> It might just be that putting the content into a <caption> is preferable
> to hoisting it out of the table altogether, if that gives better compat
> with what IE does.  It doesn't sound like it would be much more
> difficult to implement than the current "hoist the content out of the
> table" algorithm.

I think Opera initially inserted a real caption element, but that was
changed to an "anonymous" caption (not visible in the DOM) for compat
reasons.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software