Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:16:51 +0000
To: Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski@googlemail.com>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Lee Kowalkowski wrote:

> Beats me, it seems to be based on the flawed assertion that del and
> strike are not synonymous, but in fact they are.

I genuinely do not understand how you can arrive
at that conclusion.  <strike> indicates that the
element is "struck through"; <del> that it is
"deleted".  Just because (by convention)
text can be shewn as having been deleted by
being struck through doesn't make <del> and
<strike> synonymous, any more than <strong>
and <b> become synonyms simply because
the classic HTML styling for strong emphasis
is emboldening.

<b> are purely presentational.

Philip TAYLOR