Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

gonchuki 08-02-07 06.46:   ­
> On Feb 7, 2008 12:10 AM, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no> wrote:
> > For instance, a typical example could be  that the holder of a document
> > changed name or something, and that the old name was striked over.
>
> Then the old name is actually <del>eted and the new name <ins>erted

To do as you propose,
<del>old name</del> new name
is non-semantic. You are merely using DEL to create the effect of
stricken text. The correct thing, if your task is to document the
editing process, would be
Since the purpose is not to document the editing process, it is enough with
<strike>old name</strike> new name

STRIKE can best be interpreted as a command - as an imperrative: STRIKE
this, ignore what it says. STRIKE is text that is not deleted, but whose
message should still be ignored. Whereas DEL contains info about
something that has allready been deleted, but which still is given heed.

> could you please elaborate on the meaning of the <strike> element
> other than its visual representation?

Strike means "invalidated".  It is like stamp on the text. Just because
as stamp says «ivalid» does not mean that you can just throw the
document away. Instead, you need the info about the fact that this is
now invalid. DEL cannot mean «invalidated» because it refers to a
document in process. DEL appears in texts that have yet to be made valid
in the first place.

> You are insisting on its
> "semantic" purpose without yet explaining how it gives different
> meaning than the <del> element,

STRIKE tells that that the fact to which the text refers, has undergone
history, so that the messag of this text is now invalid. DEL/INS are
used to tell that the _text_ has undergone history. The content of DEL
does not need to be invalid. It can be just another way to phrase the
same meaning.

These are two very different semantic fields.

> and please don't insist on final
> documents as no final document contains unprofessional stroked text.

Finalized documents contain both uprofessonal stroked and underlined
text. Many documents are also «live», where things are added through
time. Stricken text in such documents represens undeletable text with
reference function, but which generally should be ignored. In the
Bugzilla example, stricken text tells that you can ingore this bug report.

For unsighted users of Bugzilla, I think there is currently nothing that
tells you that the bug can be ignored. I am thinking about e.g. the
«Related bugs» section, where both unsoved and solved bugs appears side
by side.
--
leif halvard silli