Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

On Feb 7, 2008, at 7:27 AM, gonchuki <gonchuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> A resolved bug won't appear in the next release of the "known issues"
> document, thus it has been actually <del>eted from it

This isn't on a list of known bugs: my reference is to a separate bug on
another page referring to a resolved bug.

> plus, a
> resolved bug always contains a date and time, fitting perfectly with
> the datetime attribute from the <del> element.

While reading through the draft, I thought that the datetime and
cite attributes could be perfect for this, but they refer to when and
why something was deleted from a document. Again, this is not a
document revision because you are not removing content from the page.

> But what's more important, resolved bugs could be either marked with a
> line-through, with a tick icon to the left, set with display: none or
> whatever the designer chooses it to be, you may even want to leave
> resolved bugs with the same visual appearance as an open bug since
> you are on the "resolved bugs" section of the file, then tell me how a
> <strike> that implies visual representation can be useful in such
> scenarios.

I don't agree with your display:none possibility (because unlike a use of
the del element, keeping the text in the document is important). However,
I'm not convinced that CSS styling with a class (or id, or whatever) is
better than having the strike element in the document, even with the lack of
a specific semantic that we can give to the element.

Theoretically, a Bugzilla designer could make a style sheet that is
automatically updated that strikes out a link (or make it red, or any other
styling) to a bug using a[href="bug_link"]. That doesn't necessarily mean
that it would be bad to have an element that gives some richness (or
semantics) to the text. I believe that the overall benefit of marking up the
referenced bug with the strike element *might* be worth the cost of keeping
it in the spec *if* we can find other use cases for the strike element. It
would be great if we could find semantics for the strike element, but I
don't see that happening.