Re: Investigate expected results to http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/http/content-type/sniffing/ tests in collaboration with the IETF HTTP WG (ACTION-44)

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:30:30 +0000
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke writes:

> Smylers wrote:
> > That mail points out that none of the characters are > 127, which is
> > correct.  However, test 16 does contain several characters < 32 (and
> > which aren't tabs or line-breaks); these are not normally considered
> > to be plain text.
> By whom?

Sorry, I was speaking informally about "plain text", in the sense that
at least many people would expect that to be text for human consumption,
where control codes such as ^A, ^B, ^C aren't meaningful.

It's possible that text/plain has a defined technical meaning, and
perhaps it does permit such characters, but my interpretation of test 16
is that those control characters are what it was referring to.