Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) 08-02-06 17.46:   ­
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> I too am satisfied with just one strike element. I think I would
>> prefer STRIKE, [...]I am also fine with the S element, for the reason
>> you mention.
>
> It's not clear to me what benefits there are from
> <strike> v. (say) <span class="struck-through">,

The benefit is there because we don't have predefined class names.  All
kinds of UAs should know how to mark out the <strike> element - at least
if its semantics are made clear, while <span class="struck-through"> is
not really better than just <span>. It is of course also easier and
clearer to have a strike element rather than different class versions of
SPAN. The latter means that the author must make more planning and
preparation before the deed can be done.

> but given a choice between <strike> and <s> I would
> much prefer the former, since <s> could only too
> easily be confused with <strong> by analogy with <b>.

Valid point.
--
leif halvard silli