Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:14:08 +0100
To: "j.j." <moz@jeka.info>
CC: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

j.j. 08-02-06 14.42:   ­
> If HTML5 keeps a striking out element (I have no strong opinion on
> this), it should be <s>, not <strike>.
> Quote from <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32>:
>
>   Note: future revisions to HTML may be phase out STRIKE in favor
>   of the more concise "S" tag from HTML 3.0.
>
> HTML4 didn't this, since it deprecated both.

I too am satisfied with just one strike element. I think I would prefer
STRIKE, though, because I don't mind that it is «difficult/longer» to
type the strike element. It should not be used often, and it should be
evident what it means. (Since it is more seldom used, one will not
remember it so easily if one only see a letter S.) However, I am also
fine with the S element, for the reason you mention.

Btw, could the issue of the strike/s element could be added to the issue
tracker as well?
--
leif halvard silli