Re: HTML vs XHTML issue

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:55:16 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson 08-01-14 10.14:
> There has been some suggestion that the HTML 5 spec doesn't make it very
> clear that "HTML 5" is just a vocabulary that applies equally to HTML as
> to XHTML. I have tried to clarify this a little by adding a subtitle, so
> that the top of the spec now reads:
>
>    HTML 5
>    A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML
>
> I hope this helps matters a little.

     1) In the same spirit, and referring to the draft's words about
XML (referred to as XHTML5) and HTML (referred to as HTML5), I
propose replacing 'HTML5' with 'HTML 5' (or, eventually, just 'HTML') in
the 4 places in the draft, where - in contrast to the draft's subtitle -
it is used 'HTML5' even though the text speaks about the vocabulary:

Section 3.2.2  : 'A number of attributes in HTML5 are boolean'
Section 3.12.20: 'be marked up using HTML5 elements'
Section 8.2    : 'the HTML form of HTML5'
Section 8.2    : 'the XML serialisation of HTML5'

As is visible, in these examples the acronym for the HTML5-serialization
is used to refer to HTML 5 - in general. In contrast, the draft's 9
occurences of 'XHTML5' only appears in contexts where the draft explains
the differences/likenesses between XHTML5 vs. HTML5 (and DOM5 HTML) -
and is never used as a general referene to HTML 5. Thus the distinctions
are blurred and the belief that HTML 5 is only a HTML5 thing, is
possibly nourished.

     2) To further raise the editors', the readers' and the (invited)
experts' consciousness about this subject and its implications, I also
propose that each occurence of 'XHTML5' and 'HTML5' are being marked up,
throughout the draft, using the ABBR element (and/or in combination with
the . E.g. something like this:

<abbr title='the XML serialisation of HTML 5' >XHTML5</abbr>
<abbr title='the HTML serialisation of HTML 5' >HTML5</abbr>
--
leif halvard silli