Re: Validation error frequencies (target="_new")

On 04/02/08 20:57, j.j. wrote:
> HTML4 Transitional allows _blank, _parent, _self, _top but not _new.
>
> Browsers handle target="_new" same as target="xyz".

Firefox handles target="_new" specially like target="_blank". IE6 /
Opera 9.2 / WebKit seem to not handle it specially.

Firefox handles _content and (case-sensitively) _main, though I'm not
sure exactly what it does with them.

IE6 also handles _main, though I'm also not sure what that does. And it
handles _media and _search, targeting the media and search sidebars
respectively.

WebKit handles _current the same as _self.

> Authors might erroneous use "_new" if they want the functionality of
> "_blank". Therefore having "_new" non-conforming and "_blank" conforming
> is hepful.

_new seems to be used quite commonly - I see the following <a target>
values on the given number of pages, out of 15K from dmoz.org:

5057  _blank
1636  _top
  653  _self
  429  new