Re: Validation error frequencies (target="_new")

Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> hodd gsachd:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:50:52 +0100, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>>> 0006 / 400 Bad value “_new” for attribute “target” on element “a”
>>> from namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”: Bad browsing
>>> context name: Browsing context name started with the underscore
>>> and used a reserved keyword “new”.
>>
>> Perhaps these should be conforming.
>
> _top already is, but _new and _blank aren't. I think _new and _blank
> should be conforming in order to avoid javascript hacks that are harder
> to discover and disable for users who don't want new windows...

Just a note:
HTML4 Transitional allows _blank, _parent, _self, _top but not _new.

Browsers handle target="_new" same as target="xyz".

Authors might erroneous use "_new" if they want the functionality of
"_blank". Therefore having "_new" non-conforming and "_blank"
conforming is hepful.

j.j.