Re: Spaces in IRIs

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 23:45:03 +0200
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>

On Feb 2, 2008, at 04:15, Sam Ruby wrote:

> As I pointed out, a common error I see in feeds is when trying to
> detect a URI is relative reference (a common error in RSS feeds
> where such usage is ambiguous) is that URI can't be parsed as a URI
> at all.  Digging deeper, the problem often is a missing close quote
> (a missing open quote is another common error).  I would be
> interested to see if Henri were to dig deeper into the specific
> errors he sees if this is also the case in his data.

I had a closer look at the data. The cases I saw were:
  * An extra space after the IRI.
  * An extra space before the IRI.
  * Legitimate-looking spaces in file or directory names in PATH.
  * Unescaped multi-word human-readable strings as query parameter
values.
  * Space in query parameter name.

  * IRI included twice accidentally with " <" in between. (One case.)
  * Text meant to be alt text as href. (One case.)

I didn't notice a single case that looked like the consequence of a
missing quote.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi