Re: Attribute syntax feedback

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 01:41:02 +0100
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:32:34 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> I haven't changed the spec, because Firefox's behavior is only for
> characters in the ranges a-f A-F and only in quirks, and Safari doesn't
> do
> this at all, quirks or not.
>
> I am _very_ dubious about doing different things for different attributes
> here.
>

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> Holy crap, we need to just purge that function from our codebase and
>> write a real one. I've had way too many fights with it at this point :(
>
> I would be very interested in hearing the results of you doing this. If
> the problem Opera ran into is an isolated incident, that would be great.
> If it turns out we need some weird parsing scheme here, I should spec it.

Philip` gave some data on the matter:

http://philip.html5.org/data/attribute-numbers-followed-by-af.txt

I looked through the list and concluded found mostly cases of unquoted
attributes running together and people putting in 'em' units. "=3D" wasn't
found in the sample at all. Most pages don't break either way. The
following page looks wrong in Firefox but looks as intended in
Opera/IE/Safari:

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/baril/
(uses <FONT SIZE="20em">)

So I've concluded that HTML5 is fine as is.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software