Re: Speculative tokenization and foreign content

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Simon Pieters wrote:

> In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Oct/0161.html I
> speculated (no pun intended) about having the above-mentioned elements
> keep their (R)CDATAness even in foreign content, and not supporting
> <![CDATA[ at all. However, I guess the self-closing flag would still be
> a problem (<svg> ... <style/> ...)? Perhaps the self-closing flag
> shouldn't work on (R)CDATA elements in foreign content?
>
> Going with this makes SVG less copy-pastable into HTML, which is not
> good. OTOH, when it would break, it means authors have to fix it up, and
> then it would break less in legacy UAs (e.g. replace <script .../> with
> <script ...></script>).

I'd be fine with doing this, but I assume that this would be far too far
from the SVGWG's goals for it to be acceptable to them. (After all, they
haven't agreed even with the current commented-out proposal.)

> Going with this also means that <textArea> in SVG can't contain elements
> declaratively, which is not good.

Well it's not clear <textArea> is a particularly good feature anyway. :-)