Re: dataset case issue

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:59:03 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> The dataset DOM attribute introduces a small difference between HTML and
>> XHTML that should probably be pointed out explicitly. Namely that if you
>> use dataset.X = "x" you will get a data-x attribute in HTML and a data-X
>> attribute in XHTML.
>>
>> Instead of pointing it out we could also 1) define dataset in terms of
>> setAttributeNS rather than setAttribute in which case you might get
>> problems when you try to seralize. Or 2) be defining a subset of
>> characters that these attributes may consist of and not letting dataset
>> work with characters outside that set.
>>
>> Of the alternative solutions my preference goes to 1. It seems nicer to
>> defer to setAttributeNS rather than subsetting things somehow.
>
> I've defined things so that they are the same for both XHTML and HTML.
> Hopefully the confusion caused by people using upper-case names won't be
> so bad...

Per my reading it is not the same for XHTML and HTML. E.g.

   dataset.X = "test"
   dataset.x = "test"

will result in a single attribute in HTML and two in XHTML. Defining it in
terms of setAttributeNS would circumvent this. If we think this problem is
not a huge issue we should at least point out that there is a difference
here by way of a note.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>