Re: <q> omnibus

From: Ben Millard <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:28:04 -0000
To: "Geoffrey Sneddon" <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Cc: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, "HTMLWG" <public-html@w3.org>

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> Remember Chris said in the F2F that it was too late to remove it now.
> That should be somewhere in the minutes.

Chris Wilson wrote:
[[[
It's quite likely we WILL ship IE8 with <q> and </q> generating punctuation,
since that's what HTML4.01 said we should do, and it's awfully late in the
cycle to pull out now.  If there's a solid reason for it, we might be able
to, but I would think that building an implementation that's (mostly, modulo
the choice of default quote characters in English and the international
language support) interoperable across the 4 most popular engines would be
the best thing to do (= ship auto-generating quotes).
]]]

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0232.html>

This means it won't be fully interoperable with any the 4 most popular
engines. It won't be at all interoperable with previous versions of IE,
which are still the most common means of browsing the web.

There'll be a Release Candidate before the final release:

[[[
We will be very selective about what changes we make between the next update
and final release. We will act on the most critical issues.
]]]

<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/11/19/ie8-what-s-after-beta-2.aspx>

I wouldn't call this a "critical issue" but it least it has a clear-cut
solution (imho).

--
Ben Millard
<http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/>