Re: Comparison of Smart Headers and HTML5 (ACTION-85)

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:13:33 +0000
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Hi Lachlan,

Thanks for that.

> But the benefit of having the browser implement the algorithm and report
> the associations via the APIs is that given the low cost and relatively
> fast pace of the browser upgrade cycle compared with that of assistive
> technology, browsers can adapt more quickly to changes and improvements
> can be deployed faster.

I do like the idea of core functional markup for complex data tables via
explicit semantic associations and then a smart or solid algorithm to
support a situation where the markup is missing or incorrect - I guess a
staggered or layered approach. As an aside, I don't really see how what
is being suggested is that different what currently happens within HTML
4, apart from an improvement in the algorithm itself - which is a good
thing.

If you can, could you please highlight for me (briefly) what the
differences/improvements are?

Cheers

Josh