Re: Comparison of Smart Headers and HTML5 (ACTION-85)

From: Ben Millard <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 07:17:35 -0000
To: "Aaron M Leventhal" <aleventh@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "HTMLWG" <public-html@w3.org>, "WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Aaron M Leventhal wrote:
> 2. The larger part of algorithm is upside down for our needs. [...]
> Typically an AT will want to know what labels or headers to present to a
> user when a user navigates to a cell.

The result is that header cells are assigned to data cells. Here's a few
quotes from it which (hopefully) make that result clearer:

[[[
Each data cell can be assigned zero or more header cells.

1.6 Assign the header cell to all the data cells in the data cells list
[...]

2.3.2 If there is a header cell [...], then assign the first such header
cell in tree order to the data cell.
]]]

The way I see it:

1. The current algorithm runs through the <table> once to find all the
associations.
2. The UA stores them in the relevant accessibility API properties.
3. A user interacts with a cell via an AT.
4. The AT uses what has been stored in the API for that cell.
5. The AT may apply verbosity control, announcements, re-ordering and other
adaptations to improve the user experience.

In this way, the relationships are stored rather than queried on-demand. Do
you think that's a good thing? Avoiding repetitive queries between AT and UA
seems like a good thing to me, since a user can move between table cells
rapidly.

--
Ben Millard
<http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/>