Re: proposed change to dialog example in HTML5 section 4.6.26

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:38:21 +0000
To: public-html@w3.org

Gregory J. Rosmaita writes:

> the dialog example in section 4.6.26 of the 3 december 2008 version of
> the html5 draft

For the benefit of anybody following this thread later, when sections
may have renumbered, this is the 'Footnotes' section.

> should use ABBR not SPAN to gloss the colloquial pronunciation

Colloquialisms aren't necessarily abbreviations.  Even if "watcha" is
deemed to be an abbreviation, there are other colloquialisms which
clearly aren't.  If <abbr> is the appropriate way of marking those up as
well then we need to change <abbr>'s definition as well as this example.

> and should use EmotionML to express that the shopkeeper is lying,
> rather than using SPAN to "convey" such information:

Why should it?  Is it permitted to use EmotionML in non-XML HTML 5?
Will it be required that all HTML 5 user agents also support EmotionML?
Do current user agents have support for it?  In what way do they convey
that information to users?

Smylers