Re: Are new void elements really a good idea?

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Furthermore, what's the expectation for future iterations of HTML5,
>>> or HTML6? Will there be more void elements, again requiring changes
>>> in existing producers?
>>
>> It's entirely possible that new void elements could be introduced.
>> But instead of trying to restrict the growth of HTML5 based on the
>> designs of old authoring tools, the authoring tools should also be
>> updated to expect new void elements and be able to deal with them better.
>
> How? A concrete proposal please.

Provide a way in the authoring tool, XSLT in this case, for authors to
declare which elements should be serialised as void elements.  This
could be done in either XSLT itself, or maybe in some user-editable,
implementation specific config file that lists all the elements that
need to be serialised as void elements. There are probably other
possible solutions too.

>>> 2) Keep introducing new void elements, but always allow non-void
>>> notation, such as
>>>
>>> <eventsource source="foo"></eventsource>
>>
>> <eventsource src="foo"/> is allowed.  Isn't that sufficient?
>
> I only tried Saxon, and it creates a start and an end tag.

The inability to control how an element is serialised seems like a
limitation in XSLT that should probably be fixed in XSLT, rather than
maintaining that it should place constraints on HTML5's syntax.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/