Re: About video & audio elements

From: Maurice <maurice@thymeonline.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:46:30 -0400
To: Nicolas LE GALL <me@neovov.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Aug 29, at 8:52 AM, Nicolas LE GALL wrote:

> Yes. But if you want to save the video file on your computer ?
> Which subtitle format to choose ?

um... uh.... how about... the user agent (when there's an api for this
stuff) indicates that the video tag has multiple "subs" and presents a
way for the user to choose one. It probably also presents a convenient
1 click "download this file" which would save both the video and
subtitle file simultaneously

>> There are server side libraries for pulling all the info you could
>> ever want out of video and audio files. What would be the best way
>> to present this meta data for search engines?
>>
>> * attributes on the video tag?
>> * <mediadetails> tag within the video tag?
>> * some new microformat?
>
> I think examining the media files will cause too much problems :
>
> - Making an algorithm to parse the media header to retrieve the
> metadata (depending on the codec used the header can have a variable
> size  just presuming)
> - For the media provider it will consume some brandwith which is the
> most expensive charge (at this moment)
> - I think parsing a media file cost more computer resources than
> parsing an HTML document
> - Need a soft to edit the data (OK, you definetly need a soft to
> encode... But if you made a mistake editing some HTML attributes/
> elements is lighter than opening the media in a soft, editing it and
> uploading it again)

You've completely lost me there.
Like I was saying. There are _server side_ libraries for php (and
other languages) that can pull all the data you'd want to know about a
multimedia file. I just scan the files when the user uploads them and
save the most important info to a database (codec, length, etc) Since
I already have this data I figured it would be easy to put it on the
page with some sort of microformat or dedicated media meta data tags.