Re: Mandatory and Important

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:24:28 -0400
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

On 23 Aug 2008, at 10:03 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2008, at 00:23, Al Gilman wrote:
>
>> If the agent putting the markup together really doesn't have a
>> clue (not the Flickr case)
>> then I don't really have a problem with it being absent and non-
>> conforming.
>

> Non-conforming to what? To accessibility guidelines? To the syntax
> of the underlying file format?

The syntax, as well as the accessibility guidelines.

Note that making a special case for when the image is "important but
an alternative is
unavailable" is not a syntax rule.  The conditions are not syntactic,
they are operational.
This is usage, not syntax.

Better to teach the programmers creating GIGO transcoders when to
break the rules than
to pre-break the rules for them.

(personal opinion)

Al