Re: EXIF metadata

Lachlan Hunt 2008-08-28 01.48:

> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt 2008-08-27 23.43:

>>> Why?  What are the use cases for accessing this information?
>>> [...]
>>
>> The EXIF data contains amongst other things the time and date the
>> picture was taken. Even if Raman cannot see the motif of the image he
>> took, he probably very often know at what time and date he took the
>> picture, and can thus know what the photo is supposed to be.
>
> I'm aware of what kind of information EXIF data contains. But why does
> that require a DOM API, as opposed to a user agent specific user
> interface for accessing the information?  e.g. Through the image
> properties dialog.

The way I perceived your response, you had two questions: 1) The
purpose of being able to access to EXIF info at all, and 2) the
purpose of a DOM API. I only answered the first question. Do you
mean to say that user agents should, without doubt, offer the EXIF
information?

>> The other info that EXIF provides, such as the camera used and so on,
>> might not be very interesting (unless the photographer had several
>> cameras etc etc). But nonetheless, I notic at my.opera.com, you
>> provide EXIF info side by side of each photo.
>
> Flickr also outputs some of that information too, and both seem to
> obtain the information with server side processing.  What specific
> problems would a DOM API solve?

The DOM API aside, I think it would be fast and simple if the user
could get the EXIF information by "directly" asking the image
instead of having to look for what may or may not be on the page,
since this would make the user quite certain that the meta data
indeed belongs to that spesific image.
--
leif halvard silli