Re: EXIF metadata (was: The alt="" attribute)

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt 2008-08-27 23.43:
>> T.V Raman wrote:
>>> * Digital cameras produce EXIF metadata automatically.
>>>
>>> It would be advantageous to add a _img.getEXIFData()_ method
>>> that returns a JSON dictionary containing the EXIF data found
>>> at the value of attribute _src_.
>>
>> Why?  What are the use cases for accessing this information?
>> [...]
>
> The EXIF data contains amongst other things the time and date the
> picture was taken. Even if Raman cannot see the motif of the image
> he took, he probably very often know at what time and date he took
> the picture, and can thus know what the photo is supposed to be.

I'm aware of what kind of information EXIF data contains. But why does
that require a DOM API, as opposed to a user agent specific user
interface for accessing the information?  e.g. Through the image
properties dialog.

> The other info that EXIF provides, such as the camera used and so on,
> might not be very interesting (unless the photographer had several
> cameras etc etc). But nonetheless, I notic at my.opera.com, you provide
> EXIF info side by side of each photo.

Flickr also outputs some of that information too, and both seem to
obtain the information with server side processing.  What specific
problems would a DOM API solve?

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/