Re: Validating XHTML5 with XML entities

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:30:37 +0100
To: "Jeff Schiller" <codedread@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:14:51 +0100, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>

> I can create a ticket and submit a 100-line patch to the WP project,
> but I'm worried that getting this accepted by the WordPress
> powers-that-be will be challenging, especially considering my last few
> patches that languished for months (and those patches prevented Yellow
> Screens of Death - the XHTML equivalent of a 'segfault').

If WordPress was using XML serializer, there would be no such problems and
entities wouldn't be an issue, but WordPress is designed to work in
text/html mode and takes very poor, error-prone approach to generating

HTML5 has text/html parsing mode exactly for interoperability with such
software. It even allows XML-like syntax that WordPress uses, so all you
have to change is DOCTYPE.

WordPress isn't really an XML generator and IMHO XHTML5 shouldn't be bent
to support it.

regards, Kornel LesiƄski