Re: table headers - clear description of problem

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:05:25 +0000 (UTC)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Well, HTML5 drops a feature of HTML4. *Somebody* decided to do so.

HTML5 started from a clean slate. Nothing was dropped.

However, the decision I was referring to was the decision of what to do
with the recent feedback, which I assume introduced new information that I
haven't yet dealt with.

> IMHO, when revising something important as HTML, the right approach is
> to leave things as they were, until you have a consensus for a change.
> Unfortunately this is not the case with how HTML5 is developed right
> now.

Indeed, that isn't at all the approach HTML5 has taken. We started with a
clean slate and had to justify everything we added. I disagree that this
is a bad way of doing things, but to each his own.