Re: ***DHSPAM*** Re: Request for clarification of the case where 'the image isn't discussed by the surrounding text, but it has some relevance'

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:49:20 +0100
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "David Poehlman" <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

> The meaning of the page is unchanged whether the image is present or
> absent.

just your opinion...

my opinion
the meaning of the page is changed when the image is taken away, that
can be easily verified by turning the images off.

> What possible benefit could a blind user get from knowing that there is a
> picture present that he can't see? We're not trying to taunt people here.
> The page is a poem, that's the sole purpose of the page, to convey that
> poem.

Just as a sighted user could surmise from the presence of the painting
above the poem that there is a relationship between the painting and
the poem,
providing an informative text alternative can give the non sighted
user of the opportunity to make the connection. providing nothing
gives them nothing.

I understand your logic, it is just that you have chosen a very poor example.
---
stevef

2008/8/25 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, David Poehlman wrote:
>>
>> The image is not purely decorative then.
>
> The meaning of the page is unchanged whether the image is present or
> absent. That's basically the _definition_ of purely decorative.
>
> What possible benefit could a blind user get from knowing that there is a
> picture present that he can't see? We're not trying to taunt people here.
> The page is a poem, that's the sole purpose of the page, to convey that
> poem.
>
> --

with regards

Steve Faulkner